Coconut Oil– if you’re like me, you’ve been hearing about it EVERYWHERE. It can be used in the kitchen, in the shower, as a sweetener, as a skin moisturizer. It can be used everywhere and for anything. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why it’s Do Epic Runs’ Obsession of the Week.
So what’s so great about it? While it may seem like a fad (I just hopped on the Coconut Oil bandwagon about a month ago), it has been used for thousands of years, mostly in tropical cultures. While virgin coconut oil is high in saturated fat, it’s favorable over other types of oils because it’s better for you when heated and is full of lauric acid (which has antibacterial and antiviral benefits). It adds great flavor, it’s inexpensive, and it stays for up to 2 years. So next time you’re baking or cooking with olive oil, switch up it for Virgin Coconut Oil instead. Here are some of our favorite ways to use Coconut Oil–
- Vegetables – I like sauteing asparagus with a spoonful, and Erin likes roasting sweet potatoes with it. You can use coconut oil for pretty much any vegetable and any method of cooking. There’s a hint of coconut flavor – just add salt and pepper! So good.
- Baking – Coconut oil can be substituted for vegetable oil in any recipe. Did I mention that it’s gluten free? Perfect for banana bread, brownies, cake – the list goes on. Check out this great list of yummy recipes: www.thekitchn.com/baking-with-coconut-oil-our-10-favorite-recipes-168621
- Salmon – Like I mentioned earlier, heating coconut oil is healthier than olive oil. Simplifying your salmon recipe to using just a teaspoon of coconut oil, salt, and pepper makes it healthier, crispier and quick! Check out this recipe: www.eatlifewhole.com/2012/08/a-perfect-piece-of-salmon-under-10-minutes/
- Coconut Coffee – What’s better than coffee? Coffee with COCONUT. Plus, get an extra energy boost with just a teaspoon of coconut oil blended into your morning cup.
- Granola – Store bought granola can contain unnecessary and unhealthy stuff. Make your own quick batch for a quick, healthy on-the-go snack. Erin whipped up a delicious batch using this recipe: http://fivehearthome.com/2014/02/02/chewy-no-bake-granola-bars-with-coconut-oil/
- Body Scrubs – Want to feel soft and smell great using all natural ingredients (and no harsh chemicals)? This body scrub looks so great and is so easy: http://inspirebeautytips.com/homemade-lavender-coconut-oil-salt-scrub/ . I haven’t made it yet but am planning on it soon.
- Make-up Remover – No recipe needed for this one. Just use a little bit on a cotton ball to take off makeup. Remove the oil when you’re done!
- Hair Conditioner – No recipe needed here either. Take a scoop of coconut oil, apply to your hair, and either leave it in for 30 minutes or keep it in overnight and wash it out in the morning. Voila! Super soft hair.
The possibilities are endless! Have you started using coconut oil yet? What’s your favorite way to use it? Share below!