Let #Clean14 commence! I found this amazing flax & chia pasta at Sprouts and bought two packages – one Whole Wheat and one Spinach. YUM. Since two of my 2014 resolutions are A) to follow more recipes and B) to use more fresh herbs in my cooking, I decided to tackle both, using some fresh basil I also purchased with FULL INTENTION of using it. I found the original recipe at Epicurious but modified it to fit what I had in my kitchen.
#Clean14 Approved Recipe:
Whole Wheat Fettuccine with Tomato, Basil & Mushroom Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Two 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (QuickTip: Use pre-minced garlic in a jar)
- 2-3 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety (QuickTip: Buy pre-washed & pre-sliced mushrooms)
- 1-2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup mushroom stock
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (QuickTip: You can also substitute 1/2 cup dry white wine)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 oz. (1 package) Al Dente Artisanal Pasta – Whole Wheat Fettuccine Blend Plus Flax and Chia (QuickTip: This pasta cooks in only 3 minutes!)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- Optional: Grated Parmesan cheese & goat cheese
- Optional: Handful of arugula (Rocket)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1 tsp. minced garlic and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes). Increase heat, add mushrooms and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes). Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 tsp. minced garlic. Sauté until tender (about 5 minutes). Add diced tomatoes, mushroom stock & vinegar (or white wine) and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in mushroom mixture and 1/4 cup fresh basil. Remove from heat. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper; cover to keep warm. (Mushroom sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm mushroom sauce before continuing.)
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 3 minutes (according to package directions), stirring occasionally. Drain well & return pasta to pot. Add mushroom sauce to pasta and toss to coat. Add vegetable stock and Parmesan/goat cheese if desired, tossing to coat. Transfer to bowl and serve atop a bed of arugula, adding the remaining fresh basil to each plate.