Everyone has different things they keep with them to prep or recover from a run or workout. I thought I’d share my top 10 running bag essentials – would love to hear yours too!
- iPod & headphones. This is a GIVEN. Here is an example of why it’s important to keep this with you, even when you don’t think you’re going to need it: Lauren and I arrived at 24 Hour Fitness at 6:00 a.m. for a BodyPump™ class, only to realize that the class was the NEXT DAY. We were already there, but I was caught without my music and had to struggle through a bike workout with no music (which is rough).
- Compression Sleeves. My calves have a tendency to swell up during or after a run pretty bad (I’d take a picture but it’s not a pretty sight). Fortunately my friend Danica over at Girls That Run turned me onto the Zensah Compression Sleeves. They almost completely stop the swelling and I wear them on or after long runs.
- Sweat Towel. My mom got me the Reebok Active-Dry Workout Towel. I don’t take this on runs but it’s great to have when you’re done. I also bring it to workout classes so I don’t force the gym to wash and dry another public towel. (Not only are we epic, we’re also green!)
- Arm Band. This is definitely an essential, as no one wants to run and hold their iPod or phone. I use a Nathan Armband, because I’m one of those neanderthals who still uses a REAL IPOD.
- Water Bottle. I use the Nathan Handheld Bottle. I LOVE this and won’t go on a run without it. I love that it has a little pocket to hold my phone and keys, and even a chapstick or GU. I hate the feeling of not knowing where I’m going to get water, so if you’re like me I highly recommend getting a handheld bottle.
5 “NICE TO HAVES”:
- Foot Massage Ball. I have plantar fasciitis and nothing feels as horribly good as pressing your arch into one of these bad boys after a long run. I use the Rubz Massage Ball, but there are lots of different ones out there so find one that works for you!
- Face Mist. If you need to go somewhere after a workout or run, just mist some Evian Facial Spray on your face to feel quickly refreshed!
- Dry Shampoo. I carry a small can of the TRESemmé dry shampoo in my bag. My hair gets REALLY oily so it doesn’t do the job completely, but it does help! Take down your ponytail and spray some into your roots. Leave it in for 1-2 minutes and massage. It should soak up some of the oils from your kickass workout.
- Muscle Rub. My mom also got me the Mission Max Muscle Rehab, which was everyone’s saving grace during Ragnar. LOVE this stuff.
- Gloves. This is a me thing – but when I wear my handheld water bottle sometimes I tighten it so much that it rubs on my hands, so I’ll sport a sweet pair of Nike fingerless gloves I picked up at TJ Maxx.
What are your top 10 running bag essentials?